20 June 2012

Novels without the prose

I judge a book by its prose. I love how words weave together - how they leave me with a delicious and intoxicating feeling - sometimes more than the novel itself. But great prose can turn any story into a great read, I suppose. And I'm one who likes to get waist-deep into books, that feeling of familiarity with the places and the faces through a mental movie reel.

The thought of novels told through pictures was a bit disconcerting for me (not exactly graphic novels). Then fate showed me these two books which I Googled and searched on Goodreads now I'm lusting over them! 


and


Chopsticks and The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt are novels in scrapbook format. I love the idea of using bits  and scraps of memories to tell stories and adore Caroline Preston for using vintage ephemera from her grandmother's attic and antique shops to make a novel set in the 1920s. I envy her for having bits of the era I wish I lived in! 

I think photos are as beautiful as words! These novels will surely be delectable, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment