25 September 2011

Book feature: The Sky Is Everywhere

They were always the Walker girls, the girls, Len and Bailey, Bailey and Len. Two sisters that were opposites of each other yet complements perfectly. Then Bailey dies of a broken heart, leaving Len alone with her poems that she scatters around town. This is a story about loss - how it brings persons together, how it separates them, how we find love in it.

Jandy Nelson is a brilliant writer. She turned the novel into a 311-page poem. Mix in music, poetry, and a forest bedroom? Delicious read.



“Okay, close your eyes,” I say. “I'll lead you.” I reach up from behind him and cover my hands over his eyes and steer him down the path.


There is a bedroom. A whole bedroom in the middle of the forest.


“This is unbelievable, how is this here?”

“There's an inn about a mile away on the river. It was a commune in the sixties, and the owner Sam's an old hippie. he set up this forest bedroom for his guests to happen upon if they hike up here, for surprise romance, I guess, but I've never seen a soul pass through and I've been coming forever... I write at that desk, read in that rocker, lie here on this bed, and daydream. I've never brought a guy here before though.”

He smiles, sits on the bed next to where I'm lying on my back and starts trailing his fingers over my belly.

“What do you daydream about?” he asks.

“This,” I say as his hands spreads across my midriff under my shirt. My breathing's getting faster - I want his hands everywhere.
- The Sky Is Everywhere

No comments:

Post a Comment