25 November 2011

Book roll call x Book window shopping

Because I was MIA for almost 2 weeks (sorry!) I'll give you a roll call of the books I've been reading up to my current read and the book/s I'm lusting for. Can I just say that I'm having historical fiction withdrawals? It's like I'm time traveling when I'm reading. Now I'm caught up in WWII. You'll know why! Read on.

1960s to present
The Last Letter from your Lover
Jojo Moyes

I've read this over semester break, even brought it with me to my dorm. I just can't keep my mouth shut about this. I've practically shoved this to my friends. I want the whole world to read this!

18th century to nearer today
Manhattan Monologues
Louis Auchincloss

I got this on sale almost a year ago and has been gathering dust ever since. I mostly got it because of the title. For some reason I didn't get to the part where I actually read it until last week, warming up to it. Manhattan Monologues is a collection of short stories from Old New York to Nearer Today. My favorites are The Heiress, The Marriage Broker, and Collaboration.

present, summer
The Summer I Turned Pretty
Jenny Han

Borrowed from a friend. Took a break from historical fiction. I miss summer when I read this. Light read and a cliffhanger ending. Pales in comparison to my current read, though.

back to 1945, WWII just ended
The Diplomat's Wife
Pam Jenoff

My current read. This book found me! I can't stop reading it ever since I got my hands on it. I can relate to everything in it, applying what I've studied for the past three and a half years. I loved International Studies more ;) Historical romance + espionage + international relations = delectable!

Even had to pull out Fodor's Britain just to see Marta's route when she walked the streets of London. :)

present, window shopping
Farundell
L.R. Fredericks

"A stunningly original debut novel, Farundell is literary fiction with a metaphysical twist."

This book found me when I was scanning the bookshelves at Fully Booked. Since I'm still having withdrawals, I'm lusting for anything historical. Reminds me so much of Atonement and Brideshead Revisited which I both love. Set in 1920s, a little before both novels, it also boasts a mansion, an eccentric family with a beautiful young lady, and remnants of war, everything that I look for in a book! Although not the bit about the metaphysical. The book even has a map of the whole estate and the floor plan of the mansion on the inside flap. Book lust!

How's your book lust?
x

No comments:

Post a Comment