30 May 2012

Bad days

There are bad days and there are great ones. Good days are always short lived, bad days are tougher on us. We obsess over it, painstakingly analyze what went wrong, wish and pray that we could undo it. It's a hopeless case and it crushes us, deep in our bones. Well, for me.

Others can take on that bull with both hands on its horn, I scream and run away. I internally scream, and internally curse myself, and internally run away. I had a bad day. It's not about luck, fate, the cosmos, or anything. It was words, words that hit me like sticks and stones.

Here's my solution to a bad day (if not effective, seek professional help):




Count the good things, no matter how small they are. For this special occasion, its quantity over quality. Even if that bad detail was the highlight of your day, count the good things that made you smile, that you're thankful for today.

1. I passed by - and sort of eavesdropped - on a man talking on his phone saying, "Sigurado akong magiging masaya ang gabi mo" (I'm sure your night will be wonderful). He was smiling and carrying a newly bought electric fan.
2. On the queue for the van, a man walked his girlfriend to her ride. As the van pulled out the parking lot, he made flying kisses with both his hands with everyone in the van looking at him. It was dorky but sweet.
3. I pulled off an outfit I made in my head before I dozed the night before. I thought it would look weird but I loved it from head to toe.
4. I detoured to the bookstore and books on my list were there and the place smelled like coffee.
5. I got home before the rain fell.
6. I found the quote I was looking for.

That's 6 > 1.

Tomorrow when the alarm goes off, I know I have to drag myself up, force my eyes open, shower, dress, shaking in my bum the whole commute to work, before I have to face those accusations via e-mail. Maybe I did. Maybe I did, but I was too human to pick up my own mess and just waited for others to point it out for me.

Bad days are reminders that there are 364 other days. We will have a couple of bad days, but we'll also have good ones.

"I've been told that I express myself well through words, but I know I'm not an excellent writer. My grammar, punctuations, and prepositions are sometimes off, I don't know the meaning of a lot of big words, and there is so much about the world that other people know but I don't. I do know that I am passionate about sharing my thoughts with words, and I guess that counts." - Bianca Gonzales

No comments:

Post a Comment