23 April 2012

Deja vu


This book gave me deja vu. Going through the day Sam died seven times wouldn't sound appealing, especially because she's the popular kid at highschool who hangs out with her girl friends and makes fun of everybody else, a lot like Mean Girls. But then each day she wakes up, she's a different person, still figuring out how whatever-it-is works. Each day comes with little changes, little shifts, but each day closes with the inevitable end. Sam soon makes a hard turn, angry at the world, realizing she was a hopeless case, thinking that it'll be over when the day ends, when she dies. She wakes up again and comes to the conclusion of what she had to do, to save herself or someone else's life. It's a journey of a person trying to be better towards a heartbreaking end.

On the writing style, Oliver writes an abundance of metaphors. I was on a highlighting spree! Here's some of my favorite lines:



It's the time of the night I like best, when most people are asleep and it feels like the world belongs completely to my friends and me, as though nothing exists apart from our little circle: everywhere else is darkness and quiet.


...time ticking and then falling away, lost forever - and I suddenly wish I could remember each one singularly, like somehow if I could remember them all, I could have them back.


...maybe all of these different possibilities exist at the same time, like each moment we live has a thousand other moments layered underneath it that look different.


How is it possible, I think, to change so much and not be able to change anything at all?


Sometimes I'm afraid to go to sleep because of what I'm leaving behind.


Carpe diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment