19 April 2012

Nostalgic week

- Finished reading Before I Fall, book review coming up!

- Reread The Man Who Loved Jane Austen and wishing I could also be sucked in back to 1810 and meet Jane Austen or have my own Mr. Darcy

- Went on a 4-day vacation with friends at Ilocos where time seemed to stand still - old churches, museums, spanish colonial houses, cobble stone streets, kalesas! I'm in love!

- Wishing, praying, hoping, that Filipino writers would write more historical fiction. I don't know if there are many but I only know two, Dead Stars by Paz Benitez Marquez (my all time favorite) and May Day Eve by Nick Joaquin. We have a very rich history and I would love to read it in print. For the meantime, I'll be saving a spot on my bookshelf.

- Here's some photos from my Ilocos trip!

Paoay Church is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.

The Filipino painter. Juan Luna's ancestral home. He painted the Spolarium.


This grand house sits in Calle Crisologo in Vigan where spanish colonial houses were preserved. I wonder how beautiful it was then, who lived in it, what's the story of the house.

During the Spanish colonial time, rich Filipino families lived in Calle Crisologo. The families preserved their ancertral houses throughout the centuries.


The Bantay Bell Tower was built in 1591 as part of the city's defense. Bantay means "to guard" or "to protect". You can climb to the top of the tower where the view is breathtaking.

- I want to travel back in time so I can see how the Philippines looked then.

- Trying out bullets for my updates! How's your week been? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment