10 July 2012

Book review: Love Story

Love StoryLove Story by Jennifer Echols

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Jennifer Echols disappoints, again. That or everything pales in comparison next to Amor Towles.

Good points: (I actually took down notes)

- Plot: Creative writing. New York. Hook line and sinker.
- Some laugh-out-loud dialogues
- Found a highlight-worthy quote (just because I love the thought, I could ignore the prose):

"Each night during my fifteen-minute break at the coffee shop, I looked around at the customers, picked two of them to put together, and brainstormed a happy ending for them... Any of these young men and women could be perfect for each other. They just didn't know it, and they would never introduce themselves to each other except in a file on my laptop."

Downsides:

- Dialogue feels mechanic, too structured
- Bad writing, even the stories for an "advanced creative writing class". I wanna pull my hair out!
- Flat, shallow characters, running on excess hormones
- More horses than actual "creative writing"

I expected lyrical prose, lots of literature (because they were supposed to be majoring in English/Creative Writing in a "New York City college of her dreams"), a novel inspired by New York. Still, the girl in me was gushing in several parts. I like Hunter more than Erin. I wish I could be in Erin's shoes, leave out the disinherited part, studying Creative Writing/English in New York.

But then I wanted a light read, that's what I got.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment